How do you best plan for your move? Start early by printing off our comprehensive ‘To Do’ List.
Two To Three Months Before:
- Decide on your moving date. If possible, save yourself stress by moving the day before your last day, so you can arrange cleaning on the final day.
- Book your move and order your packing supplies with Eastern Suburbs Removals!
- Get rid of unused items in your home and garage. Hold a garage sale or donate your unwanted items to charity.
- Ring your local council for advice on disposing unwanted aerosols, paint tins and chemicals.
- Begin packing items you won’t need such as books, linen or unseasonal clothes. Label your boxes with the room destination and contents.
- Organise storage if needed. Call us for advice.
- Use the contents of your freezer and pantry.
- Measure your larger appliances to see if they’ll fit into your new home.
- Go to the Post office and arrange for your mail to be redirected.
- Start advising change of addresses – see our moving house checklist.
- Advise friends and relatives and enlist their help!
- Organise parking permits if needed with local council.
- Arrange for a babysitter for your children.
- Make arrangements for the safe transportation of your pets.
- Return any borrowed items to family, neighbours and friends.
One-Two Weeks Before:
- Arrange for final meter readings for gas, electricity and water and for connections at your new home.
- Set aside a separate box for your personal effects that you’ll carry with you on moving day eg. Licence, keys and important documents.
- Tie items such as garden tools, brooms and mops together, to save legwork.
- Return any DVDs or library books and pick up dry cleaning.
- Tell your neighbours and arrange clear access to your house on moving day.
- Confirm the timing of your property settlement.
- Organise house insurance transfer.
- Don’t overload your boxes, they’ll be too heavy and will slow down the removals process. See our packing tips page.
- Empty as many drawer contents as possible and keep packing!
- Draw a floorplan of where your furniture needs to be placed in your new property.
The Day Before:
- Defrost your fridge and make sure water trays are empty.
- Disconnect your washing machine, drain hoses and disconnect gas BBQ bottles.
- Disassemble larger items such as trampolines and bookshelves. Disconnect appliances and pack into original packaging if available. ESR can help you to assemble/disassemble your furniture; please call us before your move if you need assistance.
- Put all remote controls, cords etc into one box and label.
- Empty any remaining drawer contents.
- Pack pot plants into open, lined boxes, do not water.
- Empty rubbish bins.
- Make sure everything except bedding is packed!
On Moving Day:
- Ensure clear access to your property.
- Dismantle beds, making sure you put all screws and pieces into a bag and tape them onto the beds.
- We will handle glass for you such as table tops, paintings or shelves. Do not pack into boxes.
- Separate your personal items and let your removalists know that you’re taking those with you.
- If you wish you can cover and protect your mattresses with mattress bags and fold bedding.
- Have your floorplan handy so the removalists can place your furniture.
- Do a final check of garden and rooms. Turn off lights, lock up, say goodbye and breathe!